Monday, September 11, 2006

June 28, 2006

Every day is getting better and better. Yesterday we started our training, and also had our first taste of Vanuatu kava. It tastes kind of like a mix between peppery mud and a carrot that you pull out of the ground and eat without washing the dirt off first (not that I do that regularly) This island beverage makes your tongue and mouth very numb, which is strange; however, I believe there is more of it in our futures. Today we did our equipment and training workshops, and I got my hair braided island style.

The best learning takes place outdoors. In the South Pacific.

Curtis and Tim sample their first shell of kava.


We were told to go outside, find our own space, and close our eyes. We were each given an animal noise, and told to walk around, keeping eyes closed, making this noise until we had located everyone else making the same noise. When I opened my eyes I was standing with my new family: Becs, Dave, Jess, Nicole, Tara, Ivan, Samuel, and Rose, and our group leader Liesa. We will meet our other group leader Morsen when we get to MALEKULA! We will be doing a school construction project, and I will be working on the kindergarten development project with Rose and Nicole. I am so excited right now I just might pee myself.

Tonight we will have an early Canada Day celebration, because we will be in transit on the real Canada Day, and lord knows we could never miss that celebration. We've translated Oh Canada into Bislama so that everyone can enjoy it.

Bonfire, beer, and a bunch of new friends on an island - happy Canada Day!

No comments: