Wednesday, September 27, 2006

July 12.

Yesterday we worked on the kindy project again. Mildly less frustrating than last week, mildly being the key word. We got to the kindy all pumped and ready to build some bush toys, and found out that the committee had not gotten us the materials that we had been under the impression that they would provide. Edline told us that the materials hadn't come, and so I asked her if they just hadn't come today, or if they weren't coming at all. They weren't coming at all.

So, being stubborn as we are, we went and got our own friggin materials. We got a ton of timber and actually had a really productive day. We made 7 trucks (I put on the wheels!), a seesaw, 2 tables, paddles for the canoe, shovels, and a little seating area made from tree stumps. We're hoping we'll get to paint everything next week and brighten this place up.

Morsen's soon-to-be Super Truck.

"Up and down!": Morsen, Stan, Malcolm and Peter

I found out yesterday that the knowledge of disabilities is something I take for granted in Canada, and it is not quite as commonplace here. Edline and Joanna pointed to Frencella at the kindy and asked me what we called people like her in Canada. Fren definately has down syndrome, but I guess they don't really understand what that means. Dave's sister is the same age as Fren and also has DS, so last night we went to their house to talk about it. Fren lives with Edline, because her mother didn't want to take care of her. In 1995 a couple from Australia came here and wanted to take Fren back with her and give her treatment, but her family loves her and wanted her to stay here, so instead the couple sent a wheelchair for her, which Edline says is really helpful. Edline is the most unbelievable woman, I'm so honored to have the chance to work with her. She asked us to stay for dinner last night, but we'd already eaten. Everyone is so generous here even though they have so little, at least compared to the abundance that I know at home. We promised we'd visit again.

Edline George.

We were told that we are expected to spend Sunday with our host families, even though we had asked for a day to ourselves. Wells told Liesa that they would be offended if we didn't go. It's not that I don't want to see my family, but I don't feel comfortable in their church, and I don't know how to explain that. I'm upset about the fact that I'm here working with a non-denominational organization and I'm supposed to go to church every week - I respect that I'm in a religious community, but it just seems very contradictive, and maybe YCI should have given more thought to the religious and cultural diversity of its volunteers before promising the community that we would go to church with them. I'm open to new experiences, but my experience at the Larevet church last week made me a little anxious and I'm a little weary of going back.

We also really need some down time, because the work hours are pretty grueling, although we did get this morning off. The workers had to finish the concrete floor last night, and they worked until late (we found out after the fact that some of them had worked all through the night). We brought them some fruit around 930 (after Liesa finished screaming about the giant bird eating spider on her bugnet) and there was music pumping, and lights shining on the work site. It kind of brought everyone from the community out and together, it was pretty cool.

Working hard...

Jess also told us last night that her island crush is her brother Tom, because "she likes the way he cuts fruit with his knife."

I've forgotten entirely about our cat. Liesa brought Mini home on Saturday and he is the most adorable thing EVER. He's been keeping the rats at bay, but has made Becs so sick that she's started sleeping in the creepy back room, and last night she said she stopped breathing and Liesa had to give her a ventilator, which is scary. It is time to get rid of Mini, which is devastating, because not only is he precious, but without him the rats eat all of our things. However, given the choice between a cat and Becca, we all (well, most of us at least) think keeping Becca around is the wiser choice!

Dave, Me and Mini

No comments: