Friday, September 22, 2006

July 9 - Weekend.

Yesterday we met our host families. The idea behind the host family is more for the community to be able to situate us within their environment - so we are so and so's daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, dog, etc.

My father, Lui, is the chief of Larevet. My mother's name is Tulsi, and I have 2 sisters, Meli and Melissa, and 4 brothers, Ben and Jack (in absentia) and Shilon and Moses. Ben is in Vila, working on Irikiki island resort, and Jack is a musician on Santo. They're really nice people, but they don't speak much English, so conversation thus far is a little hard. We've talked a lot about how Vanuatu is poor, and how Canada is cold and we have no fruit, and this morning I tried to explain Judaism to my father. He likes the idea of the sabbath being on Saturday instead of on Sunday.

Meli and Melissa.

Family blong mi.

Jess' mom is my dad's sister, and Jess' dad is my mom's brother. Tara's dad is also my mom's brother, so we are all cousins. One bigfalla Vanuatu family. Jess' grandfather (my great-uncle, I reckon) saw the last man be eaten on Malekula. Jess' mom, Kathy, is the funniest person I've ever met, but SHE thinks I'M the funniest thing to ever grace this earth. I speak, she laughs, I eat, she laughs...everything I do makes this woman laugh!

Auntie Kathy - the best part of this photo is the Tusker advert over their heads...

Last night there was a string band from Efate that set itself up in our backyard, and charged an entrance fee to see them play. They put up tarps over our window so that we couldn't see them unless we paid. Fair enough, I suppose. It was great fun - we danced with all the pikininis, we talked, we laughed, we danced and danced some more. I'm starting to get used to life here. It doesn't hurt that the men are very good looking - I have my first island crush.

No comments: