Tuesday, September 19, 2006

July 4 - Happy Birthday Rose!

Yesterday we sat down with our Lambubu counterparts to talk about the project(s) for the first time. I think I'd always thought that being on a "development project" would be different than this: more organized, clear, efficient - I'm starting to realize that my expensive post-secondary education fostered a whole crapload of unrealistic ideas and expectations. I was a little worried and annoyed at first, but I figure with time things will sort themselves out.

I'm still getting used to a lot of things - the rats, for example, the mossies, the language, "island time", the lack of water. At Amelatin Station we only get water between 6 and 7 every day, because it's pumped from an underground water source. This makes showering, cleaning and cooking slightly more difficult, and the toilets are so rank that I don't think I'll ever get used to them.** We found the beach though, about a 45 minute trek through the plantation. It was glorious.

Today we started work. Only two girls from the community came today - hopefully more will come as time goes on. We moved 728 giant concrete blocks this morning, helped with the structure of the building this afternoon, and sifted sand and coral all day. We also had our first brief encounters with members from our host families - my sister's name is Meli, and I can't wait to meet everyone else on Saturday.

**Note from back in Canada: I got used to the toilets.

Toilet is my friend.

No comments: