Monday, September 11, 2006

June 26, 2006: VANUATU!

Welkam long Port Vila!

Vanuatu is beautiful. More beautiful than anything I could have ever imagined - I can't believe that I am on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I feel so small. After a short, friendly flight, we were greeted at the airport by Joel and Nik, and brought back to the Scout Hall (Scat Hole?) - not nearly as frightening as anticipated, but still quite rugged. Toilet doesn't flush, must pour buckets of water down hole to get rid of poop. The Ni-Vans in our group are awesome, and we are picking up some Bislama. Pineapples are not in season right now, and I'm mildly (fine, extremely) disappointed. Survivor Vanuatu was filmed on a fairly popular tourist beach called Summerpoint on the other side of Efate. It's so interesting that for so many people, this country is a resort vacation land, kind of like the Dominican Republic of the South Pacific, while for everyone else it is a home where they don't have much, but have more energy and spirit than anywhere else I've ever seen. Did you know that this summer, Vanuatu was ranked as the world's happiest country?

Down by the bay at dusk.

The Scout Hall, and my hair beginning to understand what it means to live in the tropics.

Proof that Vanuatu is happy: this Port Vila local is very happy to take a picture with Jacqui and me :)

The Scout Hall some more.

Irikiki Island, as seen from Parliament.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oslo queues roche arrangements revisit exclusivity handboek worries risen paris manufacturer
servimundos melifermuly