Sunday, October 29, 2006

July 23.

Today was kindy day and our presentation day...finally. We went to church in Amelatin in the morning, and it was a beautiful experience. Afterwards we had the kids parade down from the church to the kindy, where we had some speeches organized and the kids modestly presented their song. The whole community ate together at the kindy, and everyone got to look (and play) with the new toys.

Kindy isn't just for kids...


Joseph Lingi leads the parade to the kindy.

The kindy class performs their song - "Mi likem kindy from..."

After lunch we were slated to do our small teams project presentations as well as our report on the main project. We started almost two hours late, as per island time. I was really happy with the way everything went - Becs and I did our reports in Bislama, and I was really proud of both of us. I think the community appreciates our effort, even if we're not so good, and ask people to shit on the fire instead of sit around the fire...they appreciate us so much in general, and I'm not used to being appreciated quite this much. They think they are the lucky ones. Tonight they prepared a giant dinner and dance in our honor (Jess and I had nothing but popcorn - BUTTERED - and cake for dinner, and loved every minute of it) and gave more speeches, and presented us with beautiful gifts. I danced with Morsen and John (scandalous, I know) and we partied late into the night.

Yesterday was our last official day with our host families*, who had also prepared a huge wonderful meal all together and presented us with gifts and kind words. Joanna told us that they never expected to have whites as part of their families, but I never ever expected them to take us in the way they have. There were many tears, and I'm guessing there will be many more.

Wan bigfalla Vanuatu family.

**This was two weeks before we ACTUALLY left Lambubu. We said our goodbyes at least five times.

No comments: