Saturday, August 15, 2009

And I thought Taiwan was overpopulated.

August 27, 2008: Asia, Round Two

When our plane arrived at Hong Kong on Saturday, the airport was closed, the result of heavy traffic due to typhoon-induced delays, and complete insanity. We were re-routed to Taipei, the last place I thought I'd see again so soon. I left Canada looking for something on this trip, though I can't tell you what it was, and as I watched the sparkling lights of Taiwan's East coast grow nearer, I couldn't help but think that maybe I'd already found it. 

We spent 7 hours in the Taipei airport. Rachel argued with immigration for a while before finally being allowed to remain in Taiwan rather than endure a pointless commute to Hong Kong and back. The trade off was that she couldn't have her bags. I landed at around midnight and found my way to my friend Dustin's apartment. He lives at the university, in a shared room with a Dane named Lars and a Sri Lankan monk whose approval of a female houseguest I was weary about, though he was genuinely pleasant to me while I was there. Lars had bedbugs, the toilet didn't work. The absence of air conditioning or a fan was troublesome, and the bed was rock hard, but after my 31 hour journey I was simply happy to be there and spent the night dreaming of cake. 

We visited Lamma island, charting our hike around the car-free islet by playing rock paper scissors and were rewarded at the end by a dip in the ocean. We had to work our way through a pile of garbage and Dustin swears he saw floating poo, but it felt too good to be enveloped in the waters of the South China Sea again. The next day I chose to check out Mongkok, Kowloon, and got a stunning view of the city from Victoria Peak. I spent some quality time with myself in Hong Kong Park, a lush oasis of green goodness in the middle of overwhelming urbanity. I made friends with a woman and her teddy bear and with a girl who was photographing a delicate porcelain doll in various poses around the park. I met Dustin and some of his local friends at a karaoke bar which played music videos featuring Dustin and by this point was feeling Hong Kong-ed out. Hong Kong is a fascinating, albeit overwhelming place.






I caught the ferry to Macau this morning and made friends with a Filipino man named Robert who assisted me in finding my way to the airport without having to pay. I found my hostel on Soi Rambutri with ease, and am unsure as to how to describe my first impressions of Bangkok. I don't think I can make any fair judgments yet, because I'm exhausted and all I can think about is that all of the backpackers look the same (although I'm sure by tomorrow I will be equally decked out in beach bum gear) and how great it is that I can get pad thai on the side of the road for a dollar. Part of me wants to go wild on Kho San road tonight drinking alcohol out of a bucket, but another part of me feels kind of old and realizes that I've entered a different realm of life. I think I will save my energy for when it counts. 


2 comments:

A. McKaul said...

Hong Kong is pretty crazy, eh? It's what the whole of China would have been like if the Englis had their way in the opium wars.

BKK is crazy too. I recommend keeping a low profile on Kao San and check out the temples, the JJ markets (if you're there on the weekend - I saw cock fighting there once) and of course, take in a show at soi pat-pong. I took my parents down there and I don't think they've been the same since.

Let us know how you go,

A

A. McKaul said...

Bugger... should have checked the date!